Karachi-Hyderabad Motorway (M-9)
Conversion Of The Existing 4-Lane Karachi-Hyderabad Super Highway Into 6-Lane Motorway (M-9) On Build, Operate & Transfer (BOT) Basis
Location within Country:
Name of Employer:
HQ, Frontier Works Organization 509 Kashmir Road Rawalpindi.
Design review completed Quality Assurance works ongoing
Name of Associated Consultants, if any:
Loya , REC
Professional Staff Provided by Company:
No. of Staff-Months:
Approx. Cost of Project:
Rs. 37.653 Billion.
Approx Value of Services:
Rs. 356.78 Million (50%TCI Share)
No. of Months of Professional Staff Provided by Associated Consultants:
Detail Narrative Description of the Project:
Karachi Hyderabad popularly known as Superhighway connects the port city of Karachi to Hyderabad and to the North of Pakistan. This section was constructed as a part of first highway Project with the Assistant of World Bank during 1964 – 68. It was dualized in 1991 as a part of Fourth Highway Project (WB). This section of the Highway is amongst the most densely trafficked in the entire country.
This section of Highway is serving a traffic volume of over 25,000 VPD (Average Annual Daily Traffic) and a growth rate of about 5% annually with 60% of truck traffic.
Motorway (M-9) conversion of the existing 4-lane Karachi-Hyderabad Superhighway into 6-lane Motorway (M-9) is 136 km along with service road as both sides of 185 km construction of 08 New interchanges and modification of 02 Nos. existing interchange. Also includes extension modification of all existing Bridges, Culverts, Underpass, Flyover etc and construction of new Bridges, culverts etc on new service Road.
Description of Actual Services Provided by the Firm:
TCI is responsible for Quality Assurance supervision of Motorway, structure & providing qualified personnel & technical support during construction stage of project. To ensure efficient and timely execution of work, TCI provided competent full time QAI staff on site whose duties are Quality Control through day to day inspection of methods, material and construction practices to enforce Quality, Budget and Schedule control over construction contract.
Design review & Quality Assurance Inspector/ services comprising of:
- Review and approve the adequacy of topographical surveys, geo-technical and sub-soil investigations, and hydrological investigation, geometric Design for the Project Highway and other structures Approval of Construction Drawings.
- Approval of Construction Drawings
- Monthly and Quarterly Progress Report.
- Quality Assurance Works.
- Issuance of payment Certificate.
- Coordination with Employer, Contractors.
- Adherence to Construction performance standards.
- Monitoring and Inspection Construction Activities/programme.
- Approval of Variation Orders.
- Approval in Extension of Contraction Period.